Grid Focus Demo

Icon

Demo site for WordPress themes developed and released by Derek Punsalan – 5ThirtyOne

Add 468 x 60 AdSense banner to Grid Focus

I often receive complaints that Grid Focus – or any of my other themes – are not “ad friendly”. Official ad support is nowhere near my list of reasons for giving back to the WordPress community. If ad support is necessary, please modify the template(s) to meet your needs. Note that if I do make room for ads, I follow the generic ad formats used by the likes of Yahoo or Google – see AdSense Ad Formats.

For Grid Focus users, here is a quick way to integrate the 468 x 60 AdSense image / text banner ad.

<div class=”adsenseBanner”>
<!– your adsense code –>
</div>

1. Create a new template file – for this example I’ve created adsense.php and pasted the code below + your unique AdSense script.

.adsenseBanner {
float: left;
margin: 30px 0 5px 50px;
}

2. Add the following CSS to style.css.

<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . ‘/adsense.php’); ?>
<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . ‘/second.column.post.php’); ?>
<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . ‘/third.column.shared.php’); ?>

3. Reference the template file in index.php, single.php, and page.php above the calls for the second and third columns.

Category: Adsense, Grid Focus, Tutorial

Tagged: , ,

6 Responses

1. ikoko says:

i can’t follow this one…

• Derek says:

I looked at your site earlier. The code was in place. It takes up to 10 minutes for the ads to start appearing on your page (read the Google AdSense notes).

2. Curtis says:

Derek I think the confusion is that the blockquotes of the codes are “above” each step not “below” as the wording suggests. It’s awesome though .. works like a charm even for a novice coder like myself. Good stuff though… thanks a lot.

3. Flor says:

Hello, please can you help me?
    I cant put adsense :(

Explain me more detailed?

4. Tigdh says:

Hallo Derek,

Thank you for your great theme. I wanted to ask three things, all related:

1/ How did you get the ‘Read more of the story’ links to work (span=”more” and ‘a class=”more-link”) so that the short post points to the long post?

2/ How did you get the ‘short’ intro post to work on index.php rather than showing the whole story?

3/ How did you get the short/long posts to reference each other?

All of this I tried to learn from the adsesne post, but to no avail.

I’m assuming they are custom fields and some additional function.php commands, but the ‘tinkering’ I did was simply not getting a result.

Many thanks for your efforts and theme,
    Tigdh

5. kevin says:

I think it is easy to add adsense block on this nice theme.

edit the style.css,,, check the #mainColumn
    and .secondaryColumn

#mainColumn {
    float: left;
    margin: 28px 0 0 0;
    width: 480px;
    }
    .secondaryColumn {
    float: left;
    margin: 28px 0 0 30px;
    overflow: hidden;
    width: 210px;
    }

place 160*600 ADS on secondary colum

and place Ads 468*60 ads on the top of the first post of the home page,

for single post, you can place the ads (336*280) just under the title of your post

and then the bottom of the your post another ads (336*280)